Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Awh-ha

Today was such an eye opening day! As a trip leader, I knew I was going to be leading a group of students and introducing them to new organizations and experiences. However, I did not account for the new experiences I would have myself. I have lived in Springfield for nearly 5 years now; what else was
there for me to see?

We visited the ESL (English as a Second Language) program at OTC. I was taken back from the amount of students who are in need of learning English. In the room of 30 advances ESL students there were 24 countries represented, including Russia, Brazil, and China. One of the first students to speak up was from Guatemala. She explained that coming to America was like becoming a mute. She could not even order food at a restaurant. The class collectively told us that they often lack confidence in learning and practicing their English because they are afraid of messing up.

This was my awh-ha moment! I still can't shake how these students must feel. I can't imagine how I would feel going to a foreign country not being able to communicate with anyone or even take care of myself. I feel that this definitely a program I want to get involved with after our trip is over. No one should feel so intimidated that they are afraid to communicate with others for fear of being thought less of. I think Missouri State should really pair each international student up with an American mentor. This will not only help with learning English, but also learning about American culture as a whole.  

I am so happy that I am making these connections and really getting to know the other students on the trip. They are teaching me so much and I just hope that they are learning a little bit as well.

Katie Brady, Team Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment